During this pandemic, with no certainty on when the lockdown or quarantine will be lifted up, it is a necessity that we have activities to keep kids at home not only entertained but continuously growing. Yarn crafts are an inspiring way to boost and encourage your kid’s creativity. Youngsters have a wild imagination, so they never run out of ideas for their art projects.
If you are a parent, desperate to find activities for your hyper-active little ones, yarn crafts for kids is a great activity to keep them occupied and entertained at the same time. Yarn projects for kids can be a great place to put your kid’s creative juices and energies to, while stuck at home.
Listed here below are yarn art projects and yarn craft ideas that you and your kids could dedicate your time and attention to. Put your kid’s creativities to use with these yarn projects for kids.
RELATED: 11 Fun Sewing Ideas For Moms And Kids
The Most Inspiring Yarn Crafts For Kids
View this post on Instagram
Pom-poms are one of the most traditional and exciting yarn crafts.
The pom-pom crafting is easy as the only material it requires is yarn.
- Wind the yarn around the palm (20 wraps for small pom poms, 40 wraps for large ones).
- Remove the bundle from the hand.
- Tie it through the middle with a yarn string to form a cute bow-shaped form.
- Cut both ends of the bunch and spread the yarn strings into forming a pom-pom.
The fluff yarn balls are a great bedroom decoration, and could also be added as a feature to other artsy creations.
Dreamcatchers are easy to make yarn crafts that could rock and freshen up any young enthusiast’s bedroom wall.
The creative process requires a few essential materials such as yarn, beads, and a hoop/ring.
- Prepare the ring and start wrapping the wool around it, until its completely covered.
- Weave the central web by looping the yarn around the hoop, adding beads as decoration.
- As a final step, attach a few strings to the bottom side of the ring and let them hang down freely.
Stimulate and encourage your kid to get extra creative with this yarn project because a stunning dreamcatcher design requires a lot of dedication.
3. Toilet Roll Bracelets
That’s a pretty inspiring way of putting spare toilet rolls into use while keeping the young creatives busy with yarn arts and crafts.
The assembly is simple and it requires a toilet roll, glue, and yarn.
- Cut the roll core into three slices of the same size.
- Cut through the center of each part to make the bracelets expandable.
- Glue the end of the yarn on the inside.
- Start wrapping the wool string around the base.
- Secure the other end of the yarn as well.
Voila! Unique home-crafted jewelry for your kid.
4. Festive Yarn Balls
Festive balls offer tons of entertainment as they are exclusively fun to shape and construct, at the same time — really pretty to look at.
The materials you need for this craft include glue, yarn, and balloons.
- Start by blowing up a small round balloon.
- Dip it in a water and glue mix.
- Proceed with wrapping yarn around it.
- Once the balloon is excessively wool-covered, cut off the yarn and roll once again in the sticky mixture.
- Let the ball dry overnight.
- Pop the balloon in the morning for the final reveal.
Youthful and cheerful vibes turn these yarn balls into a great decoration for every home, playground or child’s bedroom.
RELATED: How to Make a Plushie | DIY Pikachu Out of Yellow Sock
5. Yarn Octopus
Wool characters are extremely cute. Especially the yarn octopus.
To craft this friendly figure, your kid needs a yarn ball, wiggly eyes, a cotton or styrofoam ball, glue, and scissors.
- Start by cutting pieces of yarn of the same length.
- Arrange them in a wheel-like structure, so that every string crosses the others through the middle.
- Form the head by putting the ball in the center and gathering the yarn up around it.
- Tie together with yarn or a rubber band.
- For the tentacles — separate the hanging pieces into eight groups and begin braiding.
Glue the wiggly eyes and mouth to finish the look. And there you have it — the cutest addition to your kids’ hand-made toy collection.
6. Yarn Dolls
Yarn dolls are alternative artsy characters that can excite young creative spirits.
All your child needs to bring wool dolls to life is yarn, cardboard scrap, and scissors.
- Begin with a continuous wrapping the yarn around the cardboard piece.
- Snip one end of the bundle.
- The head is formed by twisting the bunch in half and tying the folded end with a string.
- Divide the hanging yarn into 3 parts (the middle part is the doll body, so it should be thicker).
- Tie two strands of yarn to form the body and separate the hands.
- If your kids feel like it, they could also braid the hands or the legs of their yarn character.
These easy-to-assemble dolls are the perfect yarn crafts to keep your kid occupied and entertained.
7. Yarn Cloud
Yarn clouds are pretty artsy decorations made out of pom-poms.
The supplies needed for crafting a cloud include cardboard, glue, scissors, pencils, and 3 colors of yarn (white, sky blue, darker blue).
- Draw and cut out a cardboard form for the cloud.
- Create as many white pom-poms as needed to cover it.
- Glue the pom-poms to the cardboard.
- Glue hanging yarn strings to the cloud.
- Attach blue-colored pom-poms to their other end.
Getting creative with yarn clouds is a great way for kids to keep themselves entertained.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a pom-pom, courtesy of Treasurie:
Encouraging your kids to be inventive and crafty is important. Their curious minds need a lot of amusement and adventures, especially during long periods of time spent at home. And there are just so many things to do with yarn!
With all the inspiring ideas for yarn crafts, your little artists could express themselves and even find their new hobby.
Which was your favorite yarn craft? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
- 8 Free Sewing Patterns You Can Make With Your Kids
- 10 Safest Kids Sewing Machine For Your Teens
- How To Sew Your Own Silk Pillowcase
We aim to feature the hottest topics in the sewing & craft world, so get in touch if you can contribute! WRITE FOR US!
Stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest!
SUSAN D. CARMEAN says
How cute is the wall hanging .!!!Where did you find the pattern ?Lovely