Take your sewing room organization to the next level! Find the most effective ways to store your bolts of fabric to keep your sewing efficient!
11 Sewing Room Organization Tips in Storing Fabrics
As a sewer, it is only expected to accumulate lots of fabrics. Whether they are in bolts or folded into neat squares, fabrics can definitely take up much space in your sewing room. Sometimes, we forget we even have a specific type of fabric because they are buried under a bevy of other fabrics! But don’t worry! We’re here to show you 11 brilliant ways to keep your fabrics organized!
1. Rolled onto Cardboards
Most of our spare fabrics are usually thin enough to be rolled onto cardboards. You can easily arrange these cardboards on your shelves for better organization, as well. This great idea from The Girl Inspired works really well!
Investing on shelves is always a good idea, especially for organizing fabrics. You can arrange them by fabric type or color like Maureen Cracknell Handmade did.
3. Upcycled Racks
- 12 DRAWERS STORAGE CHEST WITH DURABLE AND STURDY STRUCTURE:Made of Diameter 14mm metal tubes,durable metal wire net and 80g non-woven fabric drawers with handles.This drawer storage shelf is more durable while using.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL DRAWER STORAGE UNIT WITH LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY:Totally,twelve drawers creat a variety of storage arrangements to meet diversifying storage demands.This storage shelf unit can well provide extra storage space around the house,such as storing school supplies, toiletries, clothes, pajammas,dolls and more.Also decorative enough to be used as tool chest.
- MULTIN BIN STORAGE SHELF SHELVING UNIT:The twelve drawers are made of non-woven fabric,which is flexible,moistureproof,lightweight,breathable and durable.Drawer dimensions: 9.06"Wx10.63"Dx7.08"H (23Wx27Dx18H cm). Perfect solution for storage space requiring many different kinds of categories in dorm rooms,craft or laundry rooms or bedrooms.
- SPACE SAVING STORAGE ORGANIZER:Great dimension of 20.67"W x 12"D x49.21"H(52.5Wx30.5Dx125H )makes it stable and space saving.It is a perfect storage solution for your entryway,dormitory,bedroom, living room, storage room, basement,garage, etc.
- PORTABLE,CONVENIENT TO USE AND EASY ASSEMBLY:Item weight:Approx.15.29lbs/6.95kgs.This storage shelf with 12 drawers requires no tools to assemble,so you can do it yourself within minutes by just Following the instructions.
4. Filing Folder
You might think filing cabinets are only for papers and documents. But guess what? You can also store fabrics in them! It’s actually pretty nifty to store them this way, like how Play Party Plan did. Not only can you see your archive of fabric, it also saves a lot of space!
5. Use Wire Baskets
Wire baskets can give you a preview of which fabrics are stored within them. As a bonus, you can also stack them up! This organization idea from Terry Aske Art Quilts is a genius!
- AN ATTRACTIVE SOLUTION TO YOUR STORAGE NEEDS: This set of 10 collapsible storage cubes offers an appealing and lightweight solution if you want to eliminate mess, and is suitable for any room. Now, you can sort out everything from clothes to toys inside these durable storage bins. Because they're made of non-woven fabric, they're easy to clean with a cloth.
- FUNCTIONAL & STURDY: Our foldable storage containers are exceptionally intended to fit impeccably with shelves on account of their handles! Strong, beautiful and simple to utilize, these collapsible storage baskets are an astounding decision! Besides, you will be able to keep your small and out of season items out of sight, hiding them behind the vivid colors.
- TRANSFORM & ORGANIZE ANY ROOM! You can use this set of storage boxes everywhere in your house, from your garage to your kid's playroom or your living room. These valuable storage containers come with durable handles, which makes them easy to grab or carry from place to place. Plus, their lidded design will keep dust away from your precious things inside the boxes.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Hand-made of non-woven, breathable fabric and Cardboard (PP), these storage bins are extremely lightweight. They offer sufficient space to organize your clutter and they're a viable and appealing addition to any dorm, office or house. They're environmentally-friendly and they'll keep insects and mold away. Each container measures around 11"(H) x 10.5"(W) x 10.5"(L).
- CREATE MORE SPACE: If space planning is not your strong point, these fabric storage bins will meet your different stockpiling needs through giving you additional storage room and well sort out the mess. They're fashionable, with delightful looks and can be used to decorate any room. Regardless of whether you need to store clothes, toys or useful tools, these storage containers can enable you to keep things perfectly organized
6. Use Hangers
If you’ve got spare closets at home, this idea from House of Jade Interiors is perfect for you! You can even arrange them by color for better organization and to look easier on the eyes.
7. Hang Through Curtain Rods
Another brilliant way to store your fabric is to hang them through curtain rods. Use clothespin to pin your folded fabrics to the rings, just like what Craftaholics Anonymous did. This way, you can easily what fabrics you have on hand.
8. Rolled in Baskets
For your smaller scraps of fabric, you can roll them and store them upright in cute boxes. You can seal them by tying ribbons around them, like how Inspired Barn did. Putting labels can be pretty nifty, too!
- DURABLE && BIG CAPACITY: Made by thicken and non-woven fabric and hard cardboard, durable and no deformation. With a maximum storage weight of 5kg (11lb) each and a dimension of 12"x12"x12'' (Large Size), this Storage Basket maximizes storage possibilities by providing you lightweight and space-saving solutions.
- COLLAPSIBLE STORAGE CUBE: The foldable design of Magicfly Fabric Drawer means that it's space-saving and convenient to take along. You could simply fold them up when you don't use or when you need them for a trip.
- LABEL HOLDER & STURDY HANDLE: Each Fabric Drawer Organizer comes with a transparent plastic label holder that makes it so much easier for arranging items and finding them later on. The Cubicle fabric container also comes with a sturdy handle, making it convenient for you to pull out the bins from the shelves.
- EASY TRANSPORT & CLEANING: Double sturdy handles design for easy to slide in and pull out of your cube shelves, and clean with a dry rag or soft brushes in few minutes.
- MULTIPLE-FUNCTIONAL CONTAINER: The size of this Fabric Drawer Organizer makes it ideal for storing stuff ranging from toddler clothes, underwear, socks, sweatshirts to even small records or albums. It's a good storage helper for your whole family!
9. Fancy Glass Jars
Get some medieval apothecary vibes with this glass jar! Keeping your fabrics inside this will not only keep your sewing room organized, you’d also take your aesthetic to the next level! This lovely idea from Pretty Prudent is just magazine-worthy!
10. Store them in Cabinets
Fabrics can attract lots of minute particles like dust, bugs, and even small rodents. Keep your precious fabric safe by storing them in cabinet drawers! As A Pocketful of Licorice did with her fabrics, store yours in a beautiful cabinet that looks very boho-chic!
- Exterior Box dimensions: 15.25 x 14 x 6.25 inches
- Extra depth allows for storage of larger, bulkier supplies.
- Use "open core" (without dividers) for paper, albums and fabric or customize up to 8 compartments for multiple storage options including photo storage, card making supplies, dies, templates, punches, fat quarters and more.
- Area on dividers accommodates standard size address labels to ID contents of each section.
- Fits in the Super Satchel Cube (6855SC).
11. Keep Fabrics in Plastic Tubs
Fold your fabrics neatly and store them in stackable plastic tubs. You may also keep the cotton fabrics in one tub, the linens in another, and so on. This genius organization idea from Sew Can Do is definitely one for the books!
Learn more sewing room organization tips by watching this video by WendyByDesign:
Never miss out on your beautiful fabrics again! With these 12 brilliant sewing room organization hacks, your fabrics will always be ready for your next big sewing project!
Do you know other sewing room organization tips in storing fabrics? Let us know in the comments below!
Editor’s Note – This post was previously published on August 10, 2016, and has since been updated for quality and relevancy.