This DIY off the shoulder top project is perfect if you have an old button-down shirt hanging untouched in your closet. If you’d rather not give it away, this refashioning clothes idea will take care of it. Upcycle it and look chic, while the off-shoulder blouse is still a hot fashion trend. It’s also perfect for the warm summer season. Keep scrolling for an easy and stylish DIY off the shoulder top project tutorial from Anne Le’s!
Flattering DIY Off the Shoulder Top from an Old Shirt
You Will Need:
- An old button-down dress shirt
- A one-inch-wide elastic band
- Some clothing pins
- A sewing machine
- 185 Unique built-in stitches: The HC1850 includes 130 sewing stitches including 8 styles of auto-size buttonholes, plus 55 alphanumeric sewing stitches
- Included accessories: The HC1850 quilting and sewing machine includes a wide table, 8 feet, instructional DVD, manual and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- At your side support: The HC1850 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- Advanced needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an advanced needle threading function that easily pushes thread through the needle with the press of a lever and a jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
Step 1. Lay the Dress Shirt on the Table
You don’t need an off the shoulder top sewing pattern for this project. Rummage through your closet or dresser for the perfect long-sleeved shirt to refashion. Having picked a shirt, lay it down flat on a table with the sleeves placed to the side.
Step 2. Determine Where to Cut
Find out where you would like your shoulders to be exposed. Usually, it is about four inches above the line of the shirt pocket. Mark this with pins, then continue doing this around the shirt.
Step 3. Cut the Long Sleeves Shirt Top Straight Across
Using a good pair of sharp fabric shears, cut across the marked line of the shirt. This will be the new neckline of your shirt. Now, turn the shirt inside out to start working on the stitches.
Step 4. Fold and Iron
Hide the row edges by first folding a quarter of an inch of the fabric inwards toward the wrong side. Fold in another half an inch, pin, and press it down for a seamless look, which will also make it easier to run through the sewing machine. Continue around the shoulder line.
Step 5. Sew It
Once you’re done folding around the shoulder line, it’s now time to sew around the fold line. Leave about a one- to two-inch opening for the elastic band of your off the shoulder top.
Step 6. Measure the Elastic
Get your elastic band and measure it around the shoulder. Add an extra one inch then cut. Anchor one end of the elastic with a safety pin.
- Braided elastic band made from durable and premium quality woven polyester fabric and polypropylene fiber rubber; Durable and sturdy; Breathable, machine-washable.
- Color: White | Size: 1/4 Inch | Length: 70Yards, Easy to be cut whatever length you want. We will handle orders within 2 days and delivery estimate time is 10-15days.
- The elastic rope with good quality is very stretchy, and in the range of allowable tensile elastic deformation, can easily restore the original length without deformation.
- Our elastic band can be widely used for home decoration or belts, waistbands, necklines, masks, crafts, laces, hair bands, shorts, skirts, sleeves, tights, headbands, laces, wigs, diaries, hats, bags, and even DIY jewelry.
- 【BUYER BEWARE】MAKE SURE PURCHASE FROM Fantastic Zone ( find the correct seller). OTHER SELLERS WILL NOT SHIP ON TIME, MAY NOT SHIP THE RIGHT WAY!!!
Step 7. Insert the Elastic Band
Insert the elastic into the opening of the shirt. Pull it all the way through to the opposite side until the two ends meet. Overlap the two ends by one inch then sew them together. Cut any excess thread then tuck the elastic back. This will keep your top from falling down your shoulders.
Step 8. Seal the Opening
Sew over the opening where the elastic meets with a backstitch. Congratulations! You can now show off your shoulders with confidence!
Let’s follow Ann Le’s step-by-step DIY off-the-shoulder top from an old shirt in this video:
Show off your glowing skin these sunshiney summer days with an off-the-shoulder top. This stylish look shows a hint of skin without baring it all, and it’s easy to DIY! Off-the-shoulder tops are fun to wear this season! Dress it up with accessories and flats for daytime or a cute statement clutch, leather pants, and high heels at night. There are so many possibilities with an off the shoulder top you can DIY!
Did you enjoy this latest sewing tutorial? Do you already have your tools and materials ready for a DIY off-the-shoulder top sewing project? Let us know in the comments section below!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on July 25, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.