Have you been stuck in a living room decorating rut? I was, until recently, when I went to my sister’s house for a family gathering and saw some beautiful pillows displayed in her living room. So, I definitely got inspired to make some new throw pillows to brighten up my space! Since I’m a dedicated DIYer, why not bring my own DIY throw pillow ideas to life, right? 🙂
So I searched for more inspiration online and saw some gorgeous DIY throw pillow tutorials! And I thought of sharing some of my favorite ones–most of them are so simple and easy to do! Check them out and I hope you find them as inspiring as I did!
23 DIY Throw Pillow Ideas To Spruce Up Your Living Room
Learn How To Sew These DIY Throw Pillow Sewing Ideas & Patterns!
Sewing is such a fun hobby! You can easily pick up different sewing patterns found on the Internet, and from then, explore creating and sewing your own projects that fit your own unique concept, design, and personal style! So, it isn’t just an enjoyable way to pass the time, but it’s one that enhances your knowledge, creativity, and motor skills through thinking, designing, and styling.
Today, you’ll get to discover some new throw pillow ideas designed to spruce up any living room. Take a look at each of them and start sewing them for your home too. Happy sewing!
1. Denim Throw Pillow
A throw pillow made from denim is such a smart idea! Denim is versatile; it isn’t only for pants, jackets, or bags. A little dose of creativity transforms it into something unexpected, like these pillows! So, if you’d like to upcycle your old jeans, make this denim throw pillow.
- || SUPER-SOFT || MULTI-TEXTURED || SOLID PLUSH REVERSE ||: Solid reverse woven from the same super-soft chenille blend.
- || HEAVY & DURABLE || MACHINE WASHABLE ||: Made to endure the modern-day home. Machine washable at a low heat.
- || ROBUST HIDDEN ZIPPER ||: 16x16 Inch 42x42cm. Filler pad NOT included. Single pillow cover only.
- || TAILORED, CUT & SEWN BY HAND ||: Low Stock? We can produce within 8 working days.
- || MCALISTER NAVAJO DESIGN ||: A super-soft multi-textured chenille fabric woven into a multicolor chevron pattern.
2. Pom Pom Pillow
Pom poms add a touch of fun to any throw pillow. This particular design would make a wonderful display for spring or summer. But, it’s your home, you can always have pom poms throw pillow all year round if you like.
- Size:18.9in x29.2in
- Set of 2 pillow shams
- Playful pom pom trim, bringing a welcome dose of sartorial sunshine to your bedding
- 100% Cotton
- Get 10% Off purchasing with matching duvet covers, please search in our store. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6JYC65
3. Petal Pillow
The red flower design on this pillow creates a feminine look. The key is to find coordinating fabrics to create a beautiful petal throw pillow.
- Hand engineered startburst of petals
- Soft plush fabric
- Perfect for any room
- 100% polyester filling
- PLUSH FILLING that provides extreme comfort and support for lounging around
— SewingDotCom (@Sewingdotcom) August 29, 2016
4. Sprocket Pillow
You’d love to sew and display this beautiful sprocket throw pillow on your own couch. They’re so dapper and can be decorated with a button in the middle.
- Fabric: crystal flocking(velvet)(Soft and smooth,warm and breathable). Filler: fine quality pearl cotton(hand feeling soft,not easy deformation)
- Dimensions: approx 13.39 x 13.39 inches,thickness 4.72 inches / weight: approx. 1.06 lb
- Beautiful cushions,luxury and elegant design, fine to decorate the living room and couch. velvet fabric could provide a warm and comfortable feeling to you
- Beautiful stylish practical throw pillows. Surface fold pattern design, beautiful and non slip, convenient and durable.Comfortable,breathable and relieve your fatigue in your daily life.
- BUYER ALERT: Please note that NOVWANG is a registered trademark. NOVWANG is not responsible for other sellers selling a different, inferior quality product. These sellers aren't selling authentic NOVWANG branded products, they are offering a knock-off at low price to win the buy box and mislead customer buying decision. To ensure you receive the correct authentic item, please make sure to buy from seller ***NOVWANG***. We are committed to excellent customer service.
Watch this video of a Scrap Buster – How to Make an Easy Sprocket Pillow by Jenny from Missouri Star Quilt Company:
5. White Pillows
A selection of white-on-white pillows looks dreamy, but they work well with any other assortment of colors because white is so flexible! So, are you inspired to make one of these? Sew one or two now.
6. Butterfly Pillows
You’d certainly love to sew these butterfly pillows! They make any room feel instantly warmer and cozier, especially in the winter.
7. Sweater Pillow
Mine your closet for those old sweaters. You can upcycle them by creating elegant throw pillows out of them! These sweater pillows are perfect for the winter season! Click the tutorial here so you can make yours.
8. Word Applique Pillow
You can make these throw pillows and send them as gifts! Your mom or sister would love to receive one for Christmas! I love this too, so I am thinking of making this word applique pillow as a gift for myself. 😀
9. Outdoor Pillow
You can make your own creative outdoor pillow design by following these pattern instructions! And because it’s an outdoor pillow, make sure you choose high-quality, durable fabrics that will last.
10. Envelope Pillow
Watch this video of Sewing an Envelope Pillow Cover by Melanie Ham:
11. Shag Pillow
Upcycle your fabric scraps by sewing this shag pillow. You can either use strips of a single color or different fabric strips in various colors!
12. Felt Lattice Pillow
It’ll definitely bring style to your room! An unusual, clever throw pillow sewing design you must try! The texture really looks amazing, and I’d love to see this in my living room every day! 🙂 The tutorial also is not so difficult as I thought.
13. Tassel Pillows
Tassel pillows may be common sight to most homes, but who can say no to this design? The tassel provides a cute accent and makes your throw pillows look stylish, too!
Watch this video of Sewing A Tassel Pillow from HelloMaphie:
14. Doily Pillow
Create a plain fabric throw pillow case and style it with a doily! Who would have thought that doilies are snazzy for pillows? What a clever sewing idea! Turns out, this doily pillow tutorial will be my new favorite throw pillow.
15. Buttoned Pillows
If you want an easy, simple throw pillow design to sew, you can pick this pattern to make it possible! So don’t throw out your unused buttons. Keep them for future sewing projects!
16. Mod Peacock Pillow
These unique embellishments look so much like peacock feather designs! Perfect for an artsy vibe! The color combinations are amazing, I am absolutely trying this for my living room makeover. You can try this mod cock pillow cover too.
17. Lace Pillow Case
Bring out those bolts of old lace you had stored and use them as accents for your pillow! Lace is a timeless fabric that is so regal and elegant. Now, if you have old clothes that have a lace, you can use it to make this lace pillow case.
18. Bohemian Pillow
Sew this throw pillow for a bohemian-themed party, but it works beautifully even as everyday decor. Choose quality fabrics to get a beautifully-crafted pillow!
19. Hawaiian Felt Pillows
Sewing using felt fabric is easy and very simple to do! Pick felts that look bright and beautiful on summer days, give warmth during winter, and those that blends well with any other season! Want to make one? Don’t wait for summer just to sew this Hawaiian Felt Pillows.
20. Sequined Pillow
We all love upcycling old clothes into something useful again. Now, if you have a sequined shirt or dress, you can absolutely remake it into this stunning sequined throw pillow. Its shine and sparkles would be perfect for holidays. If you don’t have any sequined garments, you can check thrift shops and you can buy them for very cheap price.
21. Motivational Pillow
Be inspired every day with these motivational pillows. You may choose any message that will cheer you on every day!
22. Glitter Heart Pillow
The glamorous appeal of this glittery throw pillow will liven up any room. Perfect for Christmas and Valentine’s Day, too!
23. Ruffled Pillow
I know, it looks a bit intimidating and challenging. But, you’ll never see what you can achieve until you give it a try. This ruffled pillow is one of my favorites and I am going to try it soon!
Watch this video of How to sew a simple felt plush or small pillow from Elite Cosplay:
So what do you think? Were you able to pick your favorite throw pillow pattern? So instead of buying something new, why not sew? You not only get to save some money, sewing also allows you to be more creative at the same time!
Did you choose a pillow that perfectly matches your living room? Let me know by sharing a comment below! If you want to learn more sewing project tutorials? Click here!