Having a one-stop-shop sewing station is totally possible with a sewing cabinet. With a few modifications, you will have a masterpiece you can show to your friends and fellow sewing enthusiasts.
The Ultimate Sewing Cabinet Guide | What to Look For
What You Should Look For in a Sewing Cabinet
Most seamstresses invest in a sewing cabinet and for a good reason. Investing in one is definitely worth it considering the amount of time it will last and how it makes sewing more convenient.
Qualities of an Excellent Cabinet:
- Before you go ahead and get one, there are few things you should consider.
- Compare the lift for each prospective sewing cabinets. You need a sewing cabinet that can hold your machine steadily.
- Check if it has preset lift levels or if it’s adjustable. This is very important since you want the utmost comfort while you are sewing.
- Look for one that provides extra workspace both in the back of the machine and to the left where the bulk of the fabric will be while sewing or quilting. This is especially important when working with large quilts.
- Look at the available storage space and it should have plenty of allowance for your tools and materials.
Now that we’ve established the basics, it is time to look for quality sewing cabinets in the market today. Here are a few sewing cabinets that are often purchased by professionals.
1. Horn Cabinet Model 6280
The latest among Horn’s line of sewing cabinets, the Horn Cabinet Model 6280 is best-known for its sturdy structure and versatility. It is available in oak or white finish and has a 24″ cabinet depth for more knee room and space for new and larger embroidery machines.
However, its availability is underwhelming since it can only be bought at local stores and select online stores.
2. Southern Enterprises Sewing Table
If your budget is a bit tight, then this one is highly recommended for you. At $72, it has the features that can be found in high-end sewing cabinets such as a spacious worktop and four side shelves.
Stability is not a problem thanks to a lockable, rotating caster. Also, the finish is just so good that you won’t mistake it for something very affordable. It has a beautiful turquoise finish.
3. Giantex Folding Sewing Craft Table
The Giantex sewing cabinet is Amazon’s bestseller in the sewing cabinet department. It is known for being sturdy, having spacious storage rooms, and having a design that perfectly fit a living room’s design.
It is also easy to move with two lockable wheels and have a steady structure while you sew. What’s more, it’s really affordable at $120 and as a testament to its quality, it is rated 4.3/5 by customers in Amazon.
4. Sauder Sewing Craft Cart
The Sauder Sewing Craft Cart is a very versatile sewing machine as it offers adjustable height feature for working on all kinds of sewing related projects. Despite this flexibility, it is also proven to be stable and sturdy.
It is also very affordable at $150. The only negative with this machine is it smudges and fingerprints show easily.
5. Kangaroo Kabinets K8611 Aussie Sewing Cabinet
The Kangaroo Kabinets K8611 makes its case as the best cabinet thanks to being adjustable at three positions, making sewing a lot more convenient. However, it provides limited working space and is not very steady when paired with fast-moving sewing machines.
This product is ideal if you’re mostly working on medium-sized projects.
6. South Shore Crea Craft Table
South Shore Crea Craft table is one, if not, the sturdiest sewing cabinet out there. It is made of maple and it has a beautiful finish.
Its big build translates to a decent storage space and is very easy to maintain. However, this is not a portable model and is designed to only stay in one place.
Here’s an impressive example on how to build a sewing cabinet courtesy of The Original Scrap Box:
A sewing cabinet might be a bit expensive, but the convenience and functionality it brings are simply hard to resist.
From a wide array of sewing cabinets to choose from, look for the one that will fit your style and will give you the most comfort while sewing. Go out there and build the best sewing cabinet that will greatly increase the quality of your outputs!
Do you have anything in mind that would further improve a sewing cabinet? Sound off in the comments section below!
- 21 Nifty Home Decor Sewing Projects For Thrifty Home Makeovers
- 10 Safest Kids Sewing Machine For Your Teens
- What’s The Difference Between Quilting Machines And Sewing Machines?
Editor’s Note: This post has been updated for quality and relevancy.