It’s getting cold out these days, and you know what that means — time to sew winter clothing! Step up to your sewing machine and make these swanky clothes for the winter.
Practical Winter Clothing Projects for the Family
Upgrade Your Wardrobe with Winter Clothing You Can Sew
It is only getting colder outside and winter gear and clothing are coming out. They are such a necessity, people need clean serviceable ones every season to stay warm and safe.
As a sewing enthusiast, I decided to take winter sewing projects to the next level. Instead of making winter gloves mittens, bonnets, and pj’s for my kids, I am attempting to make sweaters and coats for myself and the whole family.
If I can spare a few bucks and indulge in my favorite hobby, it isn’t hard work at all. I’m also planning to join in clothing drives in our place for those who badly need winter gear and clothing this freezing winter weather.
Here is a list of winter clothing projects I have tried as well as a few that’s still on my to-do list. Some of them can be a bit intimidating, but I know with some practice, we will all succeed!
From women’s winter tops to other cute winter clothes, you can be fashionable on a budget. These ideas may be a step up from the usual projects I share with you, but they’re all worth it.
1. DIY Poncho with Cowl
This poncho with cowl is a comfortable piece of clothing to keep you warm and cozy the whole winter season. It is the perfect DIY accessory that is absolutely inexpensive.
The pattern is pretty simple making it the perfect project for beginners. Go plain or go bold, it’s really up to you!
- Exclusive to Daisy Del Sol. ITEM SHIPS SAME DAY. FREE SHIPPING.
- Lovely and warm checkered buffalo plaid knit wrap blanket ruana poncho sweater.
- Perfect as a fall or winter wrap cardigan with boots. Wear as a cape over every outfit this season for extra warmth!
- Features 4" (in) fringe.
- Dimensions: One Size: Length- 46" Width- 55"
2. DIY Plaid Trousers
Plaid-printed pants are so stunning, and I’m so in love with this sewing project. This DIY plaid pants trouser is so striking and simple, I can make one for me and my husband.
I will definitely match this with my white pullover sweater just like what you see on the image above. The invisible zipper is brilliant and the tutorial is so easy to follow.
- Our Bestselling Print Leggings -Make sure to check for new items!!!
- Fitted, Tapered leggings that hit between calf and ankle; Great layer piece. / Measurement Provided on Description Below
- Machine-washable, recommended cold hand wash, hang dry
- WARNING** Please make sure to check that the product you are purchasing is "Sold by LEGGINGS DEPOT" and not any other company. Products from sellers other than "LEGGINGS DEPOT" may not be the same fit, color, fabric or quality. We are unable to guarantee the quality of products purchased from other sellers, and will not be able to provide customer service for such purchases.
- Visit this link for more styles! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PLQBCR
3. Jasper Sweater & Dress
This jasper sweater and dress are the perfect things to have on while snuggling up on the couch and drinking a hot cup of joe. If you want to go out, you don’t need to change because this sweater is comfortable and stylish.
The pattern has a single welt pocket, princess seams, and an optional collar or hood and you can purchase the pattern from Paprika Patterns.
4. Cozy Blanket Sweater
This cozy blanket sweater is one of the things I love to do when winter comes. I’ve actually made one for my sister, aunt, and grandma.
They love how it keeps them warm in the chilly winter weather. This year, I’m making one for the little kids as well!
5. Pullover Sweater
This pullover sweater is a unisex sweater both men and women will love. You can use any type and color of fabric you like.
If you want to impress your husband with your sewing skills, then gather your sewing materials and make this pullover sweater for him.
6. Men’s Winter Jacket
You don’t need to be a fashion designer to make this stylish men’s jacket for your husband. Make him proud and happy with winter jackets he can use all winter long.
I already have one for myself and my kids, and now, I want to sew for my lovely husband. Winter jackets for men are also practical gifts you can give to family and friends.
- NOTE: This jacket zip on the left.
- Size: US XS-2XL, US XS = Tag L | US S = Tag XL | US M-Slim = Tag 2XL | US M = Tag 3XL | US L = Tag 4XL | US XL = Tag 5XL | US 2XL = Tag 7XL
- Material: Shell: cotton; Lining: polyester fibre / fleece. (Accessories not included)
- Full length zipper plus snap buttons closure.
- Patches embroidered on the chest and sleeve. (Product #49)
7. Winter Sweater Scarf Tutorial
Looking for a quick DIY winter sewing project? This sweater scarf tutorial is the cutest and simplest project you can make from your old sweater.
It is so adorable and easy, plus it will only take you five to ten minutes. Pair it with winter hats of the same color for a fashionable winter outfit ensemble.
8. Warm Wool-ish Mittens
I was searching for lovely gloves and mittens my kids and I will enjoy, and I came upon this adorable warm wool-ish mittens. The design and materials used are perfect for frigid temperatures.
It’ll sure to keep your hands warm and cozy. This is exactly what my family and I need this winter.
If you want to give this a try, you can check out Left in Knot’s pattern.
9. DIY Fur Cape
Make your little princess look fabulous and feel like real royalty with this DIY fur cape. The tutorial shows a simple pattern even sewing novices can make.
You can also use any decorative buttons you like. It will look even more adorable when paired with a lovely dress and a tiara.
- Material: Soft Faux Fur
- Size:One Size is suit Most Size. Width: 55cm; Length: 150cm; Shoulder width 38cm - 40cm. Soft,Smooth and Warm-Keeping.
- Occaions:wedding party,brides, bridal parties, shows and any other formal occasion.
- Season:Winter,Fall and Spring
- Dry Cleaning. Don't Water Scrubbing to Prevent Shrinking. Don't Bleaching
10. Winter Chill Swing or Cape Coat
This winter chill swing coat is a staple for winter. Everybody needs one with some sexy boots!
Forget the hefty price tag, I like to make one for myself and my family because I could choose the style and the right fabric to keep us warm and cozy.
11. DIY Wool Blanket Coat
Got a wool blanket at home you don’t use anymore? Wrap yourself up against the chilly weather with it!
It’s an eye-catching coat that looks like a cape, a shawl, and a poncho in one. This winter outfit looks great and can help you stay warm on those very cold days. Plus, it’s so easy to make!
12. DIY Faux Fur Coat
A fur coat will always be an essential winter clothing item. And since a real fur coat will cost you a fortune (and in these times, even your safety) you cannot ignore this DIY faux fur coat from Sew & Tell.
It is almost a necessity not only for warmth but for looking super fab even in the freezing temperature. Put on base layers and inner winter outfit to help you stay warm as you look extra fab.
13. Batwing Sweater Top Free Pattern
While the batwing sweater may be so last season, it is still fashionable during winter. It is also a practical clothing item both easy to wear and easy to sew on your own.
This is one of the essential women’s clothing your winter wardrobe should never be without.
14. DIY Winter Coat Made from Scratch
Any thick and cozy fabric like wool, flannel, and corduroy will make good fabric for sewing your own winter coat. Line it with a soft fabric, like silk, for insulation while still allowing to breath.
15. Plaid Flannel Winter Dress
This winter, you want to layer and bundle up without the bulk. So, you’re going to want to make outfits like this plaid flannel dress. What’s great about this sewing pattern is you can adjust the length so you can wear it like a tunic when layering.
16. Long Hooded Cloak Pattern
A hooded cloak isn’t exactly a clothing item you would wear every day even in winter but if you want to have fun with warm and cozy fleece fabric, this tutorial with a free pattern will work out for you.
17. DIY No-Sew Belted Jacket in Under 20 Minutes
Have fun with your plaid blanket by turning it into a fashionable clothing item in a matter of minutes. The key is in the belt, this DIY tutorial, and the way you carry it this cold winter season.
Rock it with a pair of boots and your choice of winter hats in bonnets or beanies.
18. Winter Floral Maxi Dress
A long sleeves maxi dress in a viscose crepe floral fabric could be the perfect outfit on a winter night dinner party for a brighter mood. With the right fabric and pattern, this women’s clothing project for winter should be in order.
- Ear Protector Cap for Women
- Size:56~60CM, Fit most adult
- Included: Hat ×1 Other accessories are not included
19. DIY Puffer Jacket
I have to say, this sewing project is a feat for beginners and advanced sewers alike. If you’ve worked on a quilting project before, then this should be easy peasy for you.
But, whatever your sewing skills are, this DIY puffer jacket is worth your effort and time. It is an essential winter outfit providing warmth with the insulation from the quilt.
Your body is all warmed up, but what about your legs? Learn how to knit these leg warmers from B.hooked Crochet:
You don’t need to blow your budget buying expensive winter clothing just to stay warm and cozy this winter. There are lots of tutorials and patterns to help you make different types of winter clothes for yourself and your family.
It doesn’t matter if you purchase new fabric or upcycle clothes as long as it will keep your family warm all winter long. Enjoy these winter clothing sewing projects!
Which of these winter sewing projects do you want to try? Let us know by leaving your comments below!
- 9 Easy Beginner Sewing Patterns You Can Do This Winter
- Winter Fashion Trends | 13 Upcycling Ideas For Your Clothes & Fabric Scraps
- Sewing Techniques: 3 Easy Steps on How to Hem Pants
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on December 15, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.