It’s getting cold out these days, and you know what that means — time to sew winter clothing! Step up to your sewing machine and make these swanky clothes for the winter!
Winter Clothing Projects for the Family
As a sewing enthusiast, I decided to take winter sewing projects to the next level. Instead of just making mittens, bonnets, and pj’s for my kids, I am attempting to make sweaters and coats for myself and the whole family. Here is a list of winter clothing projects I have tried as well as a few that’s still on my to-do list. Some of them can be a bit intimidating, but I know with some practice, we will all succeed! These ideas may be a step up from the usual projects I share with you, but they’re all worth it.
1. DIY Poncho with Cowl
This poncho with cowl is a comfortable piece of clothing to keep you warm and cozy the whole winter season. It is the perfect DIY accessory that is absolutely inexpensive. The pattern is pretty simple making it the perfect project for beginners. Go plain or go bold, it’s really up to you!
- Exclusive to Daisy Del Sol. ITEM SHIPS SAME DAY. FREE SHIPPING.
- Lovely checkered plaid knit wrap poncho.
- Features 4" (in) fringe.
- Perfect as a fall or winter wrap cardigan with boots.
- Dimensions: One Size: Length- 46" Width- 55"
2. DIY Plaid Trousers
Plaid-printed pants are so stunning, and I’m so in love with this sewing project. This DIY plaid pants trouser is so striking and simple, I can make one for me and my husband. I will definitely match this with my white pullover sweater just like what you see on the image above. The invisible zipper is brilliant and the tutorial is so easy to follow.
- Our Bestselling Print Leggings -Make sure to check for new items!!!
- Fitted, Tapered leggings that hit between calf and ankle; Great layer piece. / Measurement Provided on Description Below
- Machine-washable, recommended cold hand wash, hang dry
- WARNING** Please make sure to check that the product you are purchasing is "Sold by LEGGINGS DEPOT" and not any other company. Products from sellers other than "LEGGINGS DEPOT" may not be the same fit, color, fabric or quality. We are unable to guarantee the quality of products purchased from other sellers, and will not be able to provide customer service for such purchases.
- Visit this link for more styles! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PLQBCR
3. Jasper Sweater & Dress
This jasper sweater and dress is the perfect thing to have on while snuggling up on the couch and drinking a hot cup of joe. If you want to go out, you don’t need to change because this sweater is comfortable and stylish. The pattern has a single welt pocket, princess seams, and an optional collar or hood and you can purchase the pattern from Indiesew.
4. Cozy Blanket Sweater
This cozy blanket sweater is one of the things I love to do when winter comes. I’ve actually made one for my sister, aunt, and grandma. They love how it keeps them warm in the chilly winter weather. This year, I’m making one for the little kids as well!
5. Pullover Sweater
This pullover sweater is a unisex sweater both men and women will love. You can use any type and color of fabric you like. If you want to impress your husband with your sewing skills, then gather your sewing materials and make this pullover sweater for him.
6. Men’s Jacket
You don’t need to be a fashion designer to make this stylish men’s jacket for your husband. Make him proud and happy with this jacket he can use all winter long. I already have one for myself and my kids, and now, I want to sew for my lovely husband.
- NOTE: This jacket zip on the left. And according to the customer feedback, we modify the size.
- Size: Asia size on tag . US XS = Asia L | US S = Asia XL | US S+ = Asia 2XL | US M = Asia 3XL | US L = Asia 4XL | US XL = Asia 5XL .
- This is not a standard American size. All the size data are about garment measurements, NOT body measurements.
- Material: Shell: cotton; Lining: polyester fibre / fleece. (Accessories not included)
- Full length zipper plus snap buttons closure.
7. Sweater Scarf Tutorial
Looking for a quick DIY winter sewing project? This sweater scarf tutorial is the cutest and simplest project you can make from your old sweater. It is so adorable and easy, plus it will only take you 5-10 minutes.
8. Warm Wool-ish Mittens
I was searching for lovely mittens my kids and I will enjoy, and I came upon this adorable warm wool-ish mittens. The design and materials used are perfect for frigid temperatures. It’ll sure to keep your hands warm and cozy. This is exactly what my family and I need this winter. If you want to give this a try, you can check out Left in Knot’s pattern.
9. DIY Fur Cape
Make your little princess look fabulous and feel like real royalty with this DIY fur cape. The tutorial shows a simple pattern even sewing novices can make. You can also use any decorative buttons you like. It will look even more adorable when paired with a lovely dress and a tiara.
- Material: Soft Faux Fur
- Size:One Size is suit Most Size. Width: 55cm; Length: 150cm; Shoulder width 38cm - 40cm. Soft,Smooth and Warm-Keeping.
- Occaions:wedding party,brides, bridal parties, shows and any other formal occasion.
- Season:Winter,Fall and Spring
- Dry Cleaning. Don't Water Scrubbing to Prevent Shrinking. Don't Bleaching
10. Winter Chill Swing Coat
This winter chill swing coat is a staple for winter. Everybody needs one! Forget the hefty price tag, I like to make one for myself and my family because I could choose the style and the right fabric to keep us warm and cozy.
11. DIY Wool Blanket Coat
Got a wool blanket at home you don’t use anymore? Wrap yourself up against the chilly weather with it! It’s a swanky coat that looks like a cape, a shawl, and a poncho. It looks great and can really keep you warm on those very cold days. Plus, it’s so easy to make!
Your body is all warmed up, but what about your legs? Learn how to knit these leg warmers from B.hooked Crochet:
You don’t need to blow your budget buying expensive winter clothing just to stay warm and cozy this winter. There are lots of tutorials and patterns to help you make winter clothes for yourself and your family. It doesn’t matter if you purchase new fabric or upcycle clothes as long as it will keep your family warm all winter long. Enjoy these winter clothing sewing projects!
- Ear Protector Cap for Women
- Size:56~60CM, Fit most adult
- Included: Hat ×1 Other accessories are not included
Which of these winter sewing projects do you want to try? Let us know by leaving your comments below!
Editor’s Note – This article was originally published in December 2016 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.