If you're just starting your sewing journey and are looking for the best sewing machine for beginners, you've come to the right place. In this post, we will list the qualities you should look for and some of the best sewing machines in the market today.
Best Sewing Machine For Beginners Guide | What You Need to Know
What You Should Look for in a Beginner's Sewing Machine
Before you invest in a sewing machine, there are important factors you need to consider. We've listed five things you should consider so you can prevent a case of buyer's remorse.
- Budget – Avoid overspending since there are plenty of quality sewing machines that cost less than $150.
- Stitches – This feature gives you plenty of options in terms of project design. Choose a sewing machine that at least have the following stitches – straight, zigzag, buttonhole, stretch, blind hem, and utility stitches.
- Special features – Top-rated sewing machines come with amazing features that you should be aware about. When buying a sewing machine, look for ones with an automatic needle threader, adjustable speed control, needle position adjustment, automatic thread cutter, knee lifter, free arm, and lighting to name a few.
- Attachments and feet – This depends on what kind of projects you'll mostly work on. For quilting, a walking foot, spring action foot, and a 1/4″ foot is what you should look for. For garment sewing, look for a zipper foot, overcast stitching foot, buttonhole foot, and button attaching foot.
- Mechanical or computerized – Mechanical machines are easier to maintain as long as it's oiled and free of dust. Computerized sewing machines, meanwhile, offers much better stitching results. That is if you're willing to pay extra for the machine's cost and regular maintenance by a technician.
Now that you know the top qualities a sewing machine should have, we've narrowed down the best sewing machines for beginners that have these amazing features.
1. Brother CS6000i
View this post on Instagram
You guys!! I almost forgot about this, but today is a special day! One year ago today, my first ever sewing machine arrived in the mail! And I pulled it out and learned things I didn’t know before, like how to wind a bobbin or thread a needle. 😂 Seriously, I knew nothing. I pretty much taught myself everything using books and YouTube videos and now look at me! Sewing curves now and clothes and quilts like nobody’s business! If you have ever wanted to try sewing (or anything in life, really) but you’ve been too scared, just go for it! You are really the only thing holding yourself back. I’m so happy I took the leap because now I can’t imagine my life without sewing. How did I make it 28 years without it?? 💛🧵 • • • #quiltersofinstagram #sewing #quilting #garmentsewing #brothersewingmachine #selftaughtsewing #sewinganniversary #selftaughtsewist #quilter #modernquilting #brothercs6000i #makersgonnamake
The Brother CS6000i is arguably the best beginner sewing machine in the market today. As a testimony to its quality and excellent reputation, it is crowned by Shelikestosew.com as the best beginner sewing machine among its peers.
- Takes care of thicker fabrics with ease and precision
- Is very lightweight and can be moved around easily
- Comes with handy accessories and add-ons packaged at an affordable price of $142.
- Comes with a comprehensive manual
2. Singer 4432
Singer is not only a great beginner's sewing machine, but it also is a great buy if you're sewing for the long haul. The Singer 4432 is best known for being heavy-duty as it can sew up to five layers of denim and leather.
- Auto button holder
- Heavy-duty metal frame
- Reverse stitch function
The only area it's lacking on is its fewer decorative stitches. Nonetheless, it has garnered a 4.3/5 rating from consumers at Amazon and it is set at an affordable price of $174.30.
3. Janome 8002D Serger
- Built-in rolled hem
- An adjustable differential feed that decreases the tendency of stretching that can happen with thin or stretchy materials
- Adjustable cutting width
It has a 4/5 rating in Amazon, which is amazing and you can get it for $299.
4. Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine
- 27 built-in decorative stitches
- Blind hem
- Auto-size buttonhole feature
- Top drop-in bobbin that’s jam-resistant
- Built-in free arm
- LED-illuminated workspace
The XM2701 is also lightweight (15 pounds to be precise), which makes it ideal for aspiring sewers. No wonder why it has an impressive 4.6/5 rating at Amazon. It also took home the 2018 Women's choice award and that speaks volumes regarding its quality.
5. Singer Sew Mate 5400
The Singer Sew mate 5400 is known for its wide array of built-in stitches and its proficiency to work on leather projects.
- 60 built-in stitches
- 13 different needle positions
- Automatic tension system
It is also very lightweight and is given a 4.5/5 rating by Doyousew.com in the ease of use department. If you're looking for a machine that has both power and style, this one totally fits the bill.
Here's another list of the best sewing machines for beginners courtesy of Revisione:
Buying a sewing machine requires an extra careful set of eyes as you don't want to miss out on functions and features you should be enjoying from the beginning. Fortunately, that should no longer be a problem since you already know what to look for and what machines will give you the best value for your money.
As a last tip, you can check product reviews online so you'll know what people have to say about the machine you're planning to buy so you can make an informed decision. Good luck!
Which sewing machine are you planning to get? Share your thoughts in the comments below!